Every once in a while, I like to post something to help you with computer issues that I think you can handle yourself if you need to. Nothing is more frustrating than a slow computer, and it’s probably one of the most frequent calls to our helpdesk. Because of this, I put together a list of 5 tips for a slow computer.
1. When you encounter a slow running computer, the first thing to do is save your files, and quit any applications that are currently running. After that, you want to try is the “quick fix” which is rebooting your computer. This will alleviate any hung programs or services.
2. The next thing you want to do is make sure your antivirus and antispyware are up to date. To do this, open your antivirus and antispyware programs and click on a button that allows you to update the database. Once updated, run a quick scan.
3. Another thing, is to make sure you windows operating system is up to date. If you are using a Microsoft product, you can check this through Internet Explorer, or by just going to windowsupdate.com.
4. If none of these options work, you may want to consider any recent changes that were done to your computer, like new software, a new printer, new memory, etc. Try to think back to when the slowness started, and what may have changed. If you installed new hardware, it is easy to just disconnect the new hardware, reboot and see if you still have the problem.
5. If you have tried everything you can think of, it is very possible that you are out of resources. Your disk space may be full, or you may not have enough memory. Consider the age of your computer.
Most of the time, these simple tasks will help you out. I hope it helps!
IT Support for Healthcare
5 Tips for a Slow Computer