Women in venture capital
- Only 4.2% of venture capital investors in the US are women.
- 5 of 100 investors in the Forbes Midas list of the top venture capitalists are women.
Why do women leave tech?
- 30% blame working conditions, such as long hours, a low salary and no opportunity for career progression.
- 27% put it down to work-life-balance, stating they do not have enough time with their family and there is too much travel involved.
- Some of the other top reasons were a loss of interest in their job and problems with the company environment.
- 24% of women who leave a tech role go on to a non-technical role in a different company and 22% become self-employed in a tech field.
How to retain women in tech
- Offer mentoring programs and networking opportunities, can help staff to seek encouragement and assistance from others in the industry.
- Flexible working hours will ensure staff feel like they meet a good work-life-balance and have time for commitments outside of their jobs.
- Providing opportunities for personal development is a large factor that people look for in a job and scope for promotion will improve retention rates.
Having women in the tech industry is more and more refreshing. I love it!