What is Co-Location?
What is co-location? Co-location is a hosting option for small businesses who want the features of a large IT department without the costs.
Colocation can be a good option for medical practices and small businesses. Colocation allows you to place your server machine in someone else’s rack and share their bandwidth as your own. It generally costs more than standard Web hosting, but less than a comparable amount of bandwidth into your place of business. Once you have a machine set up, you take it physically to the location of the colocation provider and install it in their rack or you rent a server machine from the colocation provider. That company then provides an IP, bandwidth, and power to your server. Once it’s up and running, you access it much like you would access a Web site on a hosting provider. The difference being that you own the hardware.
Benefits of Co-Location
- Reliable uptime – The co-location facility is built on the five 9’s. 99.999% uptime. They have failovers and redundancies that would be very costly in your private environment.
- Cost savings due to sharing resources – Rack space, power, and backup power are some of the things that are shared in a co-location facility.
- Better network speed – The data centers that are used for co-location have higher bandwidth. The amount of bandwidth in the facility would be extremely expensive in a small/medium and even large practice.
- Redundant power – All co-location facilities have redundant power supplies and generators.
- Hybrid, Virtual and Hosted Services – available as per your need.
- Controlled AC environment – Temperature is monitored and consistent.
- On-site remote staff 24×7 – If you have an emergency, or need a server rebooted, or just need to get in to work on your server, someone is always available.
- If you move your office, there is no IT infrastructure to move. – Your server stays up all the time.
- It’s your equipment, you own it. – If you want to make is faster, bigger, or just better…you can do it!
- You can reach your data from anywhere in the world. – Traveling? You can easily access your information from anywhere.
Contact Tier3MD at 1-855-MYTIER3 for more information on hosting, co-locating and cloud services.