Who is a Covered Entity?
The term “covered entity” under the HIPAA Privacy Rule refers to three specific
groups, including health plans, health care clearinghouses, and health care
providers that transmit health information electronically. Covered entities
under the HIPAA Privacy Rule must comply with the Rule’s requirements for
safeguarding the privacy of protected health information. Below is a more
detailed list of those who fall under the covered entity category under HIPAA
Health Care Providers
This includes all health care providers, regardless of practice size, provided that they transmit health information electronically. The specific electronic transactions subject to this rule are those that are covered under the HIPAA Transactions Rule. Providers subject to the Privacy rule include:
- Nursing Homes
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans
- Medicare and Medicaid
- Medicare+Choice and Medicare Supplement Insurers
- Long-Term Care Insurers (excluding nursing home fixed-indemnity policies)
- Veterans Health Plans
- Company Health Plans Exceptions include: o A group health plan with less than 50 participants that is administered solely by the employer that established and maintains the plan is not a covered entity;
- Government-funded programs whose principal purpose is not providing or paying the cost of health care; o Government-funded programs whose principal activity is directly providing health care or the making of grants to fund the direct provision of health care; and, o Certain types of insurance entities such as those providing only workers’ compensation, automobile insurance, and property and casualty insurance.
Health Care Clearinghouses
- Entities that process nonstandard health information they receive from another entity into a standard (i.e., standard electronic format or data content), or vice versa. This includes: o Billing Services, o Repricing Companies, o Community Health Management Information Systems, and, o Value-added networks and switches if these entities perform clearinghouse functions.
If you are unsure if you are a covered entity, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org